Monday, October 1, 2012

"To Err is Human; to Loaf, Parisian" Victor Hugo

Photo by Sandra Busby
Edited in PicMonkey
As I'm leaving for Paris on Wednesday, I was drawn to this image with the quote from Victor Hugo.

Certainly, I'm going to loaf or to use a more elegant word, be "indolent."  Unlike almost every other tourist in Paris.

I've already sketched out my daily routine, so I won't go there again.

Musing on "indolence" sent my mind back to a book I have just re-read:  THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO CHANEL by Karen Karbo.  Ms. Karbo has an ascerbic wit that so exactly matches Mlle. Chanel's character as I've read about it.

 Herself a master of the stinging aphorism, Chanel seems to have honed this inherent ability with one of her many lovers, Pierre Reverdy, "a professional, tortured poet,"  "Chanel loved his dark moods, his poetic soul, the fact that she couldn't have him," after he took himself and his beautiful wife to a Trappist abbey.

But---back to the book and my trip to Paris.  Karbo defines six qualities that make one feminine.

INDOLENCE
MYSTERY
UNPREDICTABILITY
INTUITIVENESS
WEARING PEARLS
BLAMING YOUR UNHAPPINESS ON LOVE

I can admit to only three of these which, I suppose, makes me androgenous.  I leave you to figure out which three.  (Just one clue:  I never wear pearls.)


No comments:

Post a Comment