Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Playing Like

This morning, I was awakened by the sound of a buzz saw -- in my back yard.  Terry, the maintenance man, is taking down the fence between my house and the one behind me and replacing it.

What to do?  I couldn't possibly sit in my living room chair and have my tea and talk on the phone or write on the computer with someone looking in!!!

So, I set myself up in the bedroom where I can close the heavy drapes, turn on the little lights, and pretend to be -- somewhere else.  Paris, maybe.  In one of those small hotels where the heavy drapes keep out the sun all day if you want.  A hotel like Le Petit Prince in Nice where I stayed when I met Jane and Tom after my year in Zurich, before returning to the U.S.A.

Anyway, all that sent me thinking about how important it is to "practice pretending" in your latter years, just as it is in your younger years.  As a child, pretending is important because there are so many things you can't do yet.  Can't have your own money; can't drive a car; can't be in control of your outer life in all those ways.

I find myself in a similar position these days.  Not that I can't, but that I'm not inclined to.  It's so easy being in your own space, but easy isn't always stimulating.  So, I pretend.  I pretend to be somewhere else, doing something challenging or stimulating.  Then, when I've had enough, I can return to my own physical space and have both -- comfort and stimulation.

A hub and an image by one of my favorites, Nell Rose, today exactly portrays this ability to pretend.  I will post it on facebook if you'd like to have a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment